The body of a Mishawaka man was found in the Elkhart River in Elkhart Tuesday evening.
According to a report by Elkhart police, the body of Charles Wolfinger, 53, was recovered from the Elkhart River south of the Martin’s Supermarket on East Jackson Street at 8:50 p.m. Tuesday.
Elkhart firefighters assisted police with the recovery.
An autopsy was scheduled on Wednesday to determine the cause of the man’s death.
Two hurt in crash
Two drivers were hurt in a car-truck crash at C.R. 17 and C.R. 20 at 7:34 p.m. Tuesday.
According to an Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department report, Carol Troyer, 63, Goshen, was driving a 2003 Oldsmobile Alero north on C.R. 17 and Jenny Mast, 40, Goshen, was driving a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado truck south, when Troyer turned into the path of the truck.
Troyer had hand pain and Mast had neck pain. Both were taken to IU Health Goshen Hospital for treatment. Troyer was ticketed for failure to yield the right of way.
Workers at Advanced Auto Parts, 1105 W. Pike St., reported to Goshen police Tuesday that the store received a counterfeit $50 bill on Monday. Police made a report of the incident.
According to Elkhart County police, deputies were called to Bashor Children’s Home near Goshen twice on Monday when batteries were reported.
At 2:30 p.m. it was reported that two juvenile residents battered each other at 12:45 p.m., but neither boy was hurt. Then the staff reported that a juvenile battered two staff members at 2 p.m., with the staff members suffering cuts, scratches and a bite on an arm.
Woman faces battery charge
Goshen police were called to 310 S. Eighth St., at 9:48 p.m. Tuesday, where they arrested Stacy L. Weirick, 34, of that address. She was arrested on a charge of domestic battery and was booked into the county jail.
• Goshen police received a report of an attempted theft from Jose Nava-Orozco, 497 Brookside Manor, after he said he saw a couple trying to break into his vehicle. The couple fled the scene when the resident saw them.
• Goshen police received a report from Jeffery Martin, of the 500 block of South Third Street, that someone stole a stereo from his car sometime Monday night.
• According to Elkhart County police, Carole Logan, 54110 Eastview Drive, Bristol, reported the theft of two rings from her home between 6 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. Monday.
• Uliya Goncharova, 31, 325 Arbor Court, reported to Goshen police that someone stole the stereo from her car sometime Monday night while it was parked at her home.
• According to a Goshen police report, Richard Moses, 1812 Tony Lane, reported that a window of his vehicle was broken sometime during the night Monday.
• Angela Lamar, 1101 West Ave., reported to Goshen police that someone damaged property at her front porch sometime Tuesday. Photos and a police report were taken of the incident.
• According to a report by the Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department, an official with New Paris Elementary School reported on Monday that someone trespassed at the school sometime Sunday night.
• Goshen police reported the arrest of Penny Ellen Dumars, 26, 313 E. Washinton St., after they were called to a fight at the 800 block of South Eighth Street at 3:26 a.m. Wednesday. Dumars was cited for possession of marijuana after police took her to her home at her request. She was cited and released.