A New York man is in custody in the Kosciusko County jail and accused of stealing more than $9,000 from a Leesburg resident’s tax return.
Sheriff’s officers were called to a Barbee Lake residence March 28 in regards to a Leesburg resident who was unable to file her tax return online. The victim explained that she attempted to use TurboTax filing services, but was told that her tax return had already been filed with the Internal Revenue Service. Officers confirmed with the IRS of the fraudulent filing of the tax return.
After several months of investigation, a suspect was found with the help of Bank of America.
Sheriff’s officers went to Staten Island, N.Y., last week and with the help of NYPD detectives located the suspect.
Arrested was Nihal Walter Rodrigo, 39, 57 Livermore Ave., Staten Island. He was charged with felony forgery and was brought back to Indiana and is lodged in the Kosciusko County jail. Bond was set at $75,000 A search warrant was also obtained for study of Rodrigo’s laptop computer and other electronic devices.
Motorcyclist injured in spill
A Michigan woman was hurt when she spilled on her motorcycle at C.R. 31, north of C.R. 38 at 3:35 p.m. Wednesday.
According to a report by the Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department, Melissa Opel-Burns, 30, Brooklyn, Mich., was riding south on C.R. 31 when she lost control and the machine went off the road into a ditch. She was taken to IU Health Goshen Hospital for treatment of an ankle fracture.
One hurt in collision
One driver was hurt when two pickup trucks collided at 8:24 p.m. Saturday at Ind. 19 and U.S. 20.
According to an Elkhart County sheriff’s report, Timothy Vakalahi, 23, Granger, was exiting U.S. 20 southbound onto Ind. 19 and his 1999 Ford F-250 truck hit the passenger side of a southbound 2004 Ford F-150 driven by Reuben E. Hochstetler, 24, Bremen.
Vakalahi showed signs of a head injury and was taken to Elkhart General Hospital for treatment.
Damage to the two trucks was listed as heavy.
• Michael Hershberger, 44, 102 Olive St., reported to Goshen police that his mo-ped was stolen from his home overnight Monday.
• Goshen police received a report from Jose Lopez, 33, 2739 Oakwood Drive, at 10 p.m. Monday that his son’s Mongoose bicycle was stolen from the home that night.
• Goshen police received a report from Sean M. Glasgow, 2946 Leana Drive, who said someone damaged his vehicle that was parked at his home Tuesday night.
• Jacqueline Kundrat, 452 Brookside, reported to Goshen police Wednesday that someone broke the driver’s side window of her vehicle while it was parked at her home at midnight Tuesday.
• Goshen police received a report from Angela LeMarr, 1101 West Ave., at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday that someone vandalized a toolbox at her home.
• Goshen police reported the arrest of Joshua Lynch, 30, 424 W. Wilden Ave., after a traffic stop at 1000 N. Michigan Ave. at 7:23 p.m. Tuesday. Lynch was arrested on a charge of driving after his license was suspended for life. He was booked into the county jail.
• According to a Goshen police report, Tamberlee A. Jenkins, 52, 64181 C.R. 15, Goshen, was arrested after a traffic accident in the 1300 block of West Wilkinson Street at 12:26 a.m. Thursday. The driver was arrested on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated and was booked into the county jail.
• According to an Elkhart County sheriff’s report, Kevin C. Doctor, 33, 29227 Lantz Blvd., Elkhart, was stopped for a violation at Ind. 19 and C.R. 4 at 1 a.m. Monday. He was arrested on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated and was booked at the county jail. Bond was set at $3,000.