Two arrested on robbery charges
Elkhart County police arrested Nicholas B. Chaplin, 24, and Abigail L. Pifer, 19, both of Elkhart, Friday in connection with a robbery at Low Bob’s, 51523 Ind. 19, Elkhart, on Jan. 25. Since their arrest, other robberies at discount tobacco stores — including a second one at the same Low Bob’s location — occurred Saturday and Sunday. Investigators are continuing to seek information about the robberies that happened since Jan. 25.
Police described the robbers as two white males with their faces covered with bandanas or hoods. During the crimes, they take money, cartons of cigarettes and other items from the store. Usually, a third person waits outside. They leave the store in either a black passenger car or a gold sport utility vehicle, according to police.
In addition to the Low Bob’s, other robberies being investigated include Elkhart Cigarette Outlet, 51505 Ind. 19, Elkhart on Jan. 25; Marathon Gas Station, 51451 Ind. 19, Elkhart on Jan. 29; Stogies, 30913 Old U.S. 20, Osceola Saturday; and Low Bob’s on Sunday.
Anyone with information about the robberies is asked to contact the Elkhart County police at 574-533-4151.
Several people were hurt in recent automobile-related crashes reported responded to by Elkhart County police:
• An 82-year-old passenger was treated for cuts and bruises to both legs at IU Health Goshen Hospital after a rollover crash occurred Sunday at 6:18 p.m.
According to the Elkhart County police, Virginia Wysong of New Paris, was riding in a vehicle driven by Richard Wysong, 86, New Paris, southbound on Ind. 15, north of C.R. 42. Police said a 2011 Ford F150 driven by Jeffrey Whitney, 47, Ligonier, struck the rear-end of the Wysongs’ 1999 Chevrolet Astro. The Astro overturned and landed in the front yard of a home on the west side of C.R. 42.
Whitney was ticketed for following too closely, according to police.
• An Elkhart toddler was transported to Memorial Hospital in South Bend after a two-vehicle crash at 2:32 p.m. Saturday. Two others were transported to local hospitals for minor injuries.
David Beliles, 46, Mentone, was driving west on C.R. 20, east of C.R. 11 in Elkhart and lost control of his 1998 Ford Ranger pickup. According to police, his truck hit a 2000 Chevrolet Ventura van driven by Alicia King, 32, Elkhart.
King and passenger Charles Britton, 47, Elkhart, suffered minor chest and neck pain. A 2-year-old passenger suffered injury to her head and face.
Beliles was ticketed for driving left of center and Alicia King was ticketed for improper child restraint for a child younger than 8 years old.
• A driver was taken to IU Health Goshen Hospital for head and neck pain after a two-vehicle crash Sunday.
The crash occurred at 3:13 p.m. on U.S. 33, north of C.R. 42 near Goshen, according to Elkhart County police. Heidi Elam, 19, Leesburg, was driving a 2003 Chevrolet Blazer that hit a patch of ice, spun out and crashed into the 1998 Infiniti QX4 parked at 66607 U.S. 33. Elam was ticketed for driving too fast for road conditions, police reported.
• Police said Amanda Shaw, 22, Mishawaka, was driving south on C.R. 3, south of C.R. 46 shortly before 11 a.m. Monday. Her vehicle slid into a ditch as Shaw was attempting to move over for oncoming traffic. She was taken to Elkhart General Hospital for injuries to her head, lower back and neck.
Man injured in
A snowmobile crash injured a Cromwell man around 12:55 p.m. Saturday.
According to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources officers, Michael G. Holcomb, 46, Cromwell, was riding a snowmobile west on private property in the area of C.R. 900 West, north of Cromwell Road, when the snowmobile struck a snow-covered embankment while travelling approximately 30 mph.
Holcomb was thrown from the vehicle and received injuries to his head. He was not wearing a helmet, DNR officers report.
Holcomb was transported by emergency personnel to Kosciusko County Community Hospital, Warsaw, for treatment.
• Alma Rodriguez, 381 Brookside Manor, Goshen, told Goshen police her Apple iPad was stolen from her residence Saturday.
• John Yoder of Jay Transportation Inc. told Elkhart County police an RV trailer was stolen from the company’s storage lot in the 67900 block of Ind. 15, New Paris. The unit was stored on the lot Dec. 14 and was missing from the lot Jan. 23 when the dealer called to have it delivered. In the following days, company employees could not locate the RV and the dealer said it wasn’t received.
• A security guard at Star Fleet Transportation, Ind. 9, LaGrange, told LaGrange County police someone forced entry into several RV trailers and removed television sets around 8:33 p.m. Sunday.
• An employee of Maple City Hobby, 102 S. Main St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole the cash register and other items sometime between Saturday afternoon and early Monday.
• Ned Starnes, 816 Braxton Court, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole items from his 2013 Ford Escape Saturday.
• A 14-year-old juvenile living in Grand Rapids, Mich., was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of theft at Meijer, 4522 Elkhart Road, Goshen, at 4:16 p.m. Tuesday.
• Talya Carpenter, Goshen, told Goshen police her vehicle was vandalized while leaving Speedway, 1906 Lincolnway E., Saturday afternoon.
• Jesus Gonzalez, 1001 S. 12th St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone broke two windows of his Chrysler mini-van between midnight and noon Sunday.
• Jerry Golden, 2306 S. Main St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone broke the window to his shed around 1 p.m. Monday.
• A 36-year-old South Bend resident told Goshen police of being battered by a 13-year-old during a therapy session at 1930 W. Lincoln Ave., Goshen, at 6:40 p.m. Monday. The juvenile was arrested and transported to the Elkhart County Juvenile Detention Center.
• Benjiman Ayers of Goshen told Elkhart County police someone made $160 in unauthorized charges to his credit card Monday.
• Marlin Lambright of Middlebury told Elkhart County police someone used his debit card to make unauthorized charges of $229.23 Monday.
• Elkhart County police received a report from a Goshen man that he was punched and kicked in the head around 10:45 p.m. Sunday by an 18-year-old in the 58000 block of Nathena Lane, Goshen.
• Sabah Alubaidy of Bristol told Elkhart County police his vehicle caught fire after overheating while he drove on C.R. 17, north of the Toll Road.
• James Watkins Jr., 23, 119 N. Third St., Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop at 10:27 p.m. Saturday in the 1600 block of Elkhart Road. He was arrested on a charge of driving while his license privileges were suspended. He was released on a memorandum to appear in court.
• Lucia Garcia-Eulogio, 32, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop at 12:51 a.m. Sunday at the intersection of Elkhart and Bashor roads. He was arrested on a charge of driving while never having obtained a license. He was released on a memorandum to appear in court.
• Sergio G. Aguilar, 24, 918 Michigan Ave., Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop at 11:57 p.m. Saturday at the intersection of Pike and Main streets. He was arrested on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while never having obtained a license, and also on a Goshen warrant. He was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Anthony Winnicki, 25, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of driving while his license privileges were suspended and on three warrants after a traffic stop at 12:42 a.m. Sunday on C.R. 18, west of Horseshoe Court. Winnicki was incarcerated.
• David G. Harrell, 30, Elkhart, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop at 1:01 a.m. Monday at the intersection of Main Street and Wilden Avenue. He was arrested on a charge of driving while being a habitual traffic violator. Harrell was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Benito Arizmendi, 44, 1225 W. Indiana St. Apt. B, Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop at 1:24 a.m. Tuesday near the intersection of Jefferson and Tenth streets. He was arrested on a charge of driving while being a habitual traffic violator with a lifetime suspension. He was incarcerated.
• David P. Goble, 29, 319 New St., Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop at 1:43 a.m. Tuesday on a charge of driving while his license privileges were suspended. Goble was given a ticket with a court date and released.
• Erin Cooper, 32, 58904 Huntly Court, Goshen, was arrested after a traffic stop by Goshen police at the intersection of Lincoln and Steury avenues at 4:57 a.m. Tuesday. Cooper, arrested on a charge of driving with a suspended license, was released on a memorandum to appear in court.
Two arrested on robbery charges
- Police News
ESCD officer runs light, hits car
An Elkhart County police vehicle was involved in a two-vehicle crash Monday in Goshen.
Police news for May 22, 2013
Several people were hurt in recent motor vehicle crashes responded to by local police:
Police News: May 20, 2013
Two Bristol men and a Bristol woman were injured in a two-vehicle collision at 5:52 p.m. Saturday near Elkhart.
- Police News: May 19, 2013
Middlebury police warn of scam
The Middlebury Police Department has received complaints from local residents of a scam that is being done in the area. Residents receive a call from an individual who identifies himself from Publishers Clearing House. He advises the resident that they have won a luxury car and $800,000 in cash.
Two children found in vacant home
Goshen police were called to a vacant residence in the 400 block of North Fifth Street, Goshen, at 8:07 p.m. Wednesday. Officers found a 4-year-old and 3-month-old alone inside the residence.
POLICE NEWS: May 16, 2013
A Goshen resident in the 1500 block of James Place told Goshen police of waking up and finding an unknown person in their residence.
Goshen woman killed in crash
A two-vehicle crash south of Middlebury Wednesday morning killed a Goshen woman.
Dead is Arellano Eustolia, 40.
Man gets 90 years for child molesting
GOSHEN — A Goshen man was sentenced Thursday to 90 years in prison on Class A felony counts of child molesting.
Police news for May 13
A Goshen teenager was seriously injured Saturday afternoon when a tree branch fell on him.
- More Police News Headlines
- ESCD officer runs light, hits car