THE GOSHEN NEWS
A Fort Wayne woman was killed in a single-car crash in Lagrange County Saturday around 6:09 p.m., according to LaGrange County police.
Debra Freiburger, 56, was a passenger in a car driven by John Freiburger, 62, Fort Wayne. Mr. Freiburger was driving eastbound on U.S. 20, near 1440 West, when the vehicle left the northside of the road, went up a small embankment and collided with a tree. Mrs. Freiburger was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver was airlifted to Parkview LaGrange Hospital after being extricated from the vehicle.
• Two people were injured in a two-car crash at C.R. 21, north of C.R. 38, in Goshen. According to Elkhart County police, the collision occurred at 2:20 p.m. Sunday. Jose Castro-Romo, 32, Elkhart, was driving a 1997 Cadillac Deville when his car collided with the rear of a 1999 Toyota Camery driven by Wilian Rosales, 37, of Goshen. Castro-Romo reportedly attempted to do a U-turn and head south on C.R. 21 and ran off the westside of the road into a ditch. He was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital for lacerations to his head and neck pain. Deliris Cruz, 24, Goshen, a passenger with Rosales, was treated at IU Health Goshen Hospital for a jammed left thumb, pain in her left arm and head pain. Police said charges are expected to be filed against Castro-Romo at a later date.
• A driver was transported to Elkhart General Hospital for leg and knee pain after the brakes on her vehicle reportedly failed at Ashton Pines Drive, north of C.R. 26, in Goshen. The crash occurred at 11:46 p.m. Sunday, according to Elkhart County police. Deja Thomas, 23, Elkhart, was driving a 2002 Ford Focus when the car collided with a concrete brick retaining wall.
• Joshua Howland, 59621 Old C.R. 17, Goshen, told Elkhart County police his fence and vehicle were damaged at his residence by a vehicle that left the scene around 6:54 a.m. Sunday. An AEP utility pole and NIPSCO gas line were damaged. Police said the vehicle is described as a burgundy or maroon Chevy pickup driven by a white male.
• Larry A. Adcock, 38, Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone struck his pickup truck and passenger car that he was towing from behind at C.R. 45 and Graybill Ave., Goshen at 11:56 p.m. Saturday. Police said the vehicle is described as a dark-colored minivan or SUV and left the scene.
• Tyler Dercach of Elkhart told Elkhart County police someone stole cash from his wallet that fell on the ground at McDonald’s, 21879 Ind. 120, Bristol, between 3:10 and 5:21 a.m. Sunday.
• Joseph Whickcar, 19319 C.R. 8, Bristol, told Elkhart County police some stole his prescription medication between Feb. 4 and Feb. 8.
• According to Kosciusko County police, a Mentone man was arrested on multiple charges Saturday after a short foot pursuit near Palestine Lake.
Matthew Dillan Mahaska, 20, Mentone, was walking along C.R. 600 West, near Blue Jay Drive when officers detained Mahaska and reportedly located several stolen items in his possession, according to a police release. Mahaska had reportedly fled back toward homes near Palestine Lake before officers apprehended him. Police said he was arrested on charges of theft, failure to appear and resisting/fleeing law enforcements. He was transported to Kosciusko County Jail.
• Mark McCormick of Bristol told Elkhart County police someone used his debit card to make six unauthorized purchases totaling $590.60 between Jan. 17 and Jan. 18.
• Jeffrey Spicher of Syracuse told Elkhart County police someone made unauthorized purchases with his bank account totaling $541.19 around 10 p.m. Friday.
• Johnathan Thalheimer of Bristol told Elkhart County police someone opened a credit card in his name and purchased $796.10 from Angel Automotive, 58200 Charlotte Ave., Bristol, sometime Jan. 7.
• A resident of Broadmore Estates, Goshen, told Elkhart County police a male pushed her and damaged her vehicle around 2:45 a.m. Sunday.
• Robert L. Trosper, 36, 17586 Furrows Lane, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of driving with a suspended license with a prior conviction. He was arrested in the 2300 block of Elkhart Road, Goshen, at 11:35 a.m. Sunday. Trosper was also ticketed for an expired license plate and incarcerated at the Elkhart County Jail.
• A vehicle was stopped on C.R. 17, north of C.R. 28 in Goshen for moving violations. The passenger, Zachary Moore, 18, Wharton, Ohio, was arrested on a charge of possession of marijuana, drug paraphernalia and illegally consuming alcoholic beverages at 2:17 a.m. Saturday. Moore was incarcerated.
• Ryan A. Miller, 29, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of public intoxication at 10:57 p.m. Friday. Miller was stopped for traffic violations on Ind. 120, east of C.R. 19 in Bristol. He was incarcerated.
• Bradley Stewart, 44, Bristol, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of public intoxication after a traffic stop on C.R. 8, near Chaptoula in Bristol at 11:57 p.m. Friday. Stewart was incarcerated.