Goshen man arrested on felony drug charge
Police arrested a Goshen man on a felony drug charge after a search of his home Tuesday evening.
Taken into custody was Martin Garcia-Rodriguez, 32, 2611 S. Main St. He remained incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail Wednesday night.
Officers with the Elkhart County Interdiction and Covert Enforcement Unit (ICE) searched Garcia-Rodriguez’s home on a warrant starting around 8:24 p.m. Wednesday. The warrant was issued after a two-month investigation into drug trafficking from the home, authorities reported.
According to staff with the Elkhart County prosecutor’s office, police found approximately 140 grams of powdered cocaine. That amount has a street value of close to $154,000.
Garcia-Rodriguez was arrested on a charge of possession of cocaine with intent to deliver. He faces up to 50 years in prison if convicted of the Class A felony.
Three people hurt in crash
A two-vehicle crash injured three people Wednesday on W. C.R. 900 North, north of Ligonier.
According to Noble County police, a 1998 Jeep Cherokee driven by Julie Stacy, Rome City, was traveling east on C.R. 900 North when she lost control of the vehicle, crossed the center line and collided with a 1992 Ford F-150 driven by Darwin Wolfe, Ligonier.
Stacy was transported to Parkview Noble hospital with head pain. A passenger in her vehicle, Ricky Rodriguez, 44, also complained of head pain.
Wolfe was transported to Parkview Noble hospital with chest pain.
Police said the road was very slick and covered with snow at the time of the crash.
• Shalene Kuipers, 26, Goshen, reported someone collided with her vehicle Monday around 7 a.m. in the 400 block of Eighth Street, Goshen without stopping to exchange information.
• Alfonso Ortega, 23, Goshen, told police a red Dodge Durango struck his vehicle at the intersection of Greene Road and Bashor Road Wednesday morning around 6 a.m. After the collision, the Durango left headed east on Bashor toward Elkhart Road.
• Julio C. Guevara Jr, 38, told Elkhart County police that on March 6, someone used his debit card to make a purchase at a Game Stop in New York. Guevara said the purchased amount was $71.17.
• Donald Burtsfield, 80, 15721 C.R. 44, Goshen, told Elkhart County police that between November 25, 2012 and Tuesday, someone entered his home and stole jewelry, televisions and dishes. It is unknown how the suspects made entry to the home.
• A staffer at Bashor Children’s Home, 62226 C.R. 15, Goshen, told Elkhart County police he was battered by a student during an altercation. No injuries were reported.
• Rick Yoder, 56691 Northridge Drive, Middlebury, told Elkhart County police a 13-year-old boy put trash down the shirt of and pulled some hair out of a 12-year-old boy on the bus after school at Northridge Middle School between 3:40 and 5 p.m. March 5.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Billy Douglas, 224 S. 26th St., Goshen, told Goshen police that Monday evening someone used blue spray paint to vandalize the siding on his residence.
• Deanna Huffman, 116 S. 28th St., Goshen, told police her garage door window was broken Monday evening.
Possible probation violation
• Goshen police were called to 287 Brookside Manor, Goshen, Tuesday evening for a verbal domestic disturbance. Police said a male was found to be drinking while on probation through Goshen City Court.
Suspicious persons report
• Goshen police reported that a concerned citizen observed two males attempting to vandalize a residence at 1722 Graceland Court, Goshen. According to police, the males later returned with possible intent to intimidate the witness, displayed what he thought may have been a handgun, but the suspects did not point it at him or threaten him.
• Lovina Miller, 50, 57199 C.R. 27, told Elkhart County police at 3 p.m. Tuesday that she has been unable to contact her brother, since 6 a.m. Tuesday. The missing person’s employer called to inform Miller that he had not arrived for work.