THE GOSHEN NEWS
A Bashor Children’s Home staff member reported six residents battered staff members and were attempting to escape around 11 p.m. Monday night, according to Elkhart County police.
Resident Casey Knox, 18, was arrested on charges of battery, disorderly conduct, attempted escape and rioting, according to the police report. Five other juveniles are being referred to juvenile court for charges of rioting, attempted escape, criminal mischief, disorderly conduct, theft, battery and incorrigibleness.
Goshen woman gets 30 years for drug dealing
A Goshen woman was sentenced to 30 years in prison Thursday following a July 26 guilty verdict.
Anita Lopez, 63, Goshen, was given 30 years after she was found guilty of dealing in cocaine, a Class A felony, according to a press release from the Elkhart County Prosecutor’s Office. Her arrest stemmed from an Elkhart County Interdiction and Covert Enforcement Unit investigation into her son, Valfredo “Freddy” Lopez, in 2007.
According to the press release, Lopez will be reunited with her son at the Indiana Department of Correction, where they will both serve their sentences.
Child molester gets long prison sentence
A Nappanee man was sentenced Thursday for three counts of child molesting.
Raymond Cantu, 51, 606 Short St., Nappanee, was given 40 years on the first count, six years on the second count and 40 years on the third count, according to the Superior Court 3 clerk’s office of the Elkhart County Courthouse. The sentences for the first and third count will be served concurrently, and the six additional years will be served consecutively to the first and third counts.
He was found guilty in a jury trial Oct. 31, 2012, according to the clerk’s office.
Armed robbery reported
A 7-11 convenience store in C.R. 6 was the site of an armed robbery Saturday.
According to Elkhart County police, an unknown white female entered the store, located at 27119 C.R. 6, around 11:40 p.m. Friday night and demanded money while pointing a gun at the store clerk.
She left the store with an unknown amount of money, three packs of cigarettes and a cup of coffee, according to Elkhart County police.
• Ben Smallwood, New Paris, reported his vehicle was struck in the parking lot of Subway, 301 W. Pike St., Goshen, around 9:03 p.m. Monday, according to Goshen police. He reported that the vehicle that struck his vehicle left the scene toward Main Street.
• Guillermo Dubon, Goshen, reported his passport and Social Security card stolen sometime on Saturday, according to Goshen police.
• Deana Jordan, Knox, reported the theft of cash from a nursing home resident in Goshen sometime on Dec. 4, according to Goshen police.
• Goshen police were called to 304 E. Lincoln Ave., Apartment A, Goshen, in reference to a theft of household items around 10 a.m. Sunday.
• Jeremy Packer, Milford, reported that someone fraudulently used his debit card sometime Thursday, according to Elkhart County police.
• Jack Dodson, Goshen, reported the theft of a firearm from his home, though it is not known when it was stolen, according to Elkhart County police.
• Kent Myers reported that someone entered the fenced property at 61022 Ind. 19 between 9 a.m. Nov. 20 and 4:30 p.m. Thursday and stole 43 radiators, according to Elkhart County police.
• Larry Byrd, Bristol, reported his home in the 51000 block of C.R. 25 was burglarized Friday between 10:30 a.m. and 9 p.m., according to Elkhart County police.
• Curtis Miller, Goshen, reported that his roommate stole items from his residence at unknown times on Dec. 8 and Friday, according to Elkhart County police.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Alfred Vanzant, Goshen, reported the passenger side tires of his truck were cut overnight while it was parked in the 1300 block of Cedarbrook Court.
• Elsie Jackson, Elkhart, reported someone shattered the rear window of her 2004 Ford Freestar while it was parked at her residence at 58596 Helen St. sometime between 6 p.m. Saturday and 8 a.m. Sunday, according to Elkhart County police.
• A Bashor Children’s Home employee reported a 17-year-old male juvenile battered two staff members around 8:30 a.m. Monday, according to Elkhart County police. She reported that both staff members were punched in the chest. Another Bashor Children’s Home employee reported a male juvenile battered an adult male staff member around 4:30 p.m. Monday, according to Elkhart County police.
• Charles Carr, 26, 403 E. Jefferson St., Goshen, was arrested in the 100 block of W. Oakridge Avenue, Goshen, on a charge of driving while suspended-prior around 4:58 p.m. Sunday, according to Goshen police.
• Matthew D. Ott, 26, 16119 C.R. 20, Goshen, was arrested on a charge of driving while suspended-prior after he was stopped at the intersection of Caragant and Lombardy in Goshen around 8:08 a.m. Monday, according to Goshen police.
• Douglas J. Merryman, 27, 113 S. Sixth St., Apt. 6, Goshen, was arrested on a charge of possession of methamphetamine and possession of paraphernalia at the intersection of Sixth and Jefferson Streets in Goshen around 3:04 p.m. Monday, according to Goshen police.
• Maurice Thomas, 20, was found in possession of marijuana while being booked into the Elkhart County Jail around 9:30 p.m. Sunday, according to Elkhart County police. A case for possession of marijuana was completed.
• Michael W. Rassi, 42, 28927 Miller Drive, Elkhart, was arrested on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated after a traffic stop at U.S. 33 and Rieth Boulevard, Goshen, around 4:42 a.m. Saturday, according to Elkhart County police. He was also found in possession of marijuana, and results of drug testing are pending.