BRISTOL — The public is invited to join the Humane Society of Elkhart County to celebrate the furry loved ones in their life at Pet Fest. The event, open to all pets and their people, will be held on Saturday, Aug. 18 with a parade, contests, an agility course and more. Pet Fest will be held on National Homeless Animal Day as a way to honor the thousands of animals that enter animal shelters every year, according to Humane Society officials.
“Pet Fest is the perfect family fun event to celebrate the pets in our life, including the ones that have yet to be adopted,” said Rachel Dennis, assistant director of the Humane Society of Elkhart County. “We want to celebrate the joy pets provide, but also increase awareness of the animals still waiting for a place to call home.”
• Free toys will be available to all pets at registration.
• Guests can visit the pet-related vendors including kennels, groomers, bakeries and more.
• There will also be a group pet blessing and memorial prayer for homeless animals at 11:45 a.m. at the gazebo. Individual pet blessings will also be offered by the Rev. Amy Debeck.
• Contests include Canine/Owner Water Relay (you carry water while walking your dog), Dogs Dunking for Dogs (dogs retrieving hot dogs floating in water), and Musical Hoops (similar to musical chairs). Contests will begin at noon and all contest winners will be awarded a prize.
• Pet Parade starting at 1:30 p.m. Judging will take place during the parade for Cutest Costume, Owner/Pet Look-A-Like, and Most Unusual Pet. A $25 gift certificate to the Red Barn Resale Shop will be awarded to the winner of each category. Immediately after the parade, there will also be a group photo taken.
• On-Leash Agility Course — Planet Canine will conduct an on leash agility course and demonstrations. Every participating pet will get a reward.
• Kristin McKibbin, professional photographer, will be on site to take pet’s pictures.
• Free refreshments will be offered to all pets and their human companions. Dog water bowls and splash pools will also be available to keep pets cool and comfortable.
• Dogs for Dollar$ Hot Dog Stand will be selling food.
• Red Barn Resale Shop will be open during Pet Fest and offering 25 percent off all items.
• Don Kilgren and the SL4 Band will provide musical entertainment.
To ensure a healthy environment, all pets need to be up to date on their rabies and other vaccinations.
For those with no pet to take to Pet Fest, the Humane Society of Elkhart County will have animals available for adoption. Pet adoptors will be offered the chance to adopt a second animal companion free. The August adoption special is 50 percent off all dogs and cats 5 years and younger and 75 percent off all cats and dogs over 5 years.
If you want to go
- WHAT: Humane Society of Elkhart County’s Pet Fest
- WHEN: Saturday, Aug. 18, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- WHERE: Humane Society, 54687 C.R. 19, Bristol